Monday, August 5, 2013

Star Trek Into Darkness, Review Part II




After being convinced by Scotty ( Simon Pegg) to not use the torpedoes to kill John Harrison, Kirk decides to instead take a landing party to the province on Kronos where they believe Harrison is hiding. The Enterprise is damaged by an unknown problem, and they are left at the edge of Klingon space, unable to warp.

 Another of my favorite parts of the movie is a conversation that occurs between Uhura and Spock:

"You mistake my choice not to feel as a reflection of my not caring, while I assure you the truth is precisely the opposite." - Spock

The area is supposed to have been uninhabited, but they are soon discovered by a patrol of Klingons. One of the most tense scenes of the movie follows, with Kirk, Spock, Uhura, and two other crew members narrowly escaping the Klingon ship through a small opening between two HUGE structures. They didn't really escape, and are ordered to land. Uhura convinces Captain Kirk to let her try and reason with the Klingon patrol.


[Speaking in Klingon]
"Why should I care about humans killing other humans?" - Klingon
"Because you care about honor. This man has none." - Uhura

Uhura's technique fails, and just as the Klingon is about to kill her, a man, John Harrison!!!, shows up out of nowhere to save them. He single handedly takes out the entire squad of Klingons.



 


Go Benedict!!! I loved this part of the movie! Every time I saw it, I would find myself cringing as well as cheering for him because he was such a bad ass. His combat skills were incredible, and watching him mow down Klingons and then jumping off the structure in the picture and stabbing a bunch of them was just... AWESOME!


 
John Harrison surprisingly surrenders without a fight... well, after Kirk says:
 
"On behalf of Christopher Pike... you are under arrest" and then punches him until he can barely stand. The hits don't even phase Harrison. Harrison is taken back to the Enterprise, and marched through the corridor in handcuffs (like they seem to do with most movie villains?)
 
 
I don't know why they feel the need to do this in most movies, (ie: Avengers, Man of Steel, BBC Sherlock, etc) but it does look really cool! :)
 
 
 

And what is it with them always putting British villains inside glass prisons? They did it in The Avengers with Loki (played by Tom Hiddleston) I guess British men are too attractive to be obscured by bars :) ... Allow me to gush about Benedict Cumberbatch, again. This next monologue of his was delivered so perfectly menacing that it actually gave me chills.
 

 

"Let me explain what's happening here: you are a criminal! I watched you murder innocent men and women, I was authorized to END you! And the only reason you are still alive is because I am allowing it, so SHUT YOUR MOUTH!" - Kirk
 
"Captain... are you going to punch me again, over and over, until your arm weakens... clearly you want to. So tell me, why did you allow me to live?" - Harrison 
 
"We all make mistakes." - Kirk
 
"No... I surrendered to you because, despite your attempt to convince me otherwise, you seem to have a conscience, Mr. Kirk. If you did not, it would be impossible for me to convince you of the truth. 23 17 46 11. Coordinates not far from Earth. If you want to know why I did what I did, go and take a look." - Harrison
 
"Give me one reason why I should listen to you." - Kirk
 
"I can give you 72, and they're on board your ship, Captain. They have been, all along... I suggest you open one up." - Harrison 
 
Surprise! After sending Bones and Admiral Marcus's daughter to open a torpedo, they discover that there is a man in a cryogenic tube inside.
 
This is when the entire theater erupted in whispers... just wait until you find out why the man is inside the torpedo... :) 
 
 
 
"Why is there a man in that torpedo?" - Kirk
 
"There are men and women in all those torpedoes, Captain. I put them there." - Harrison
 
"Who the hell are you?" - Kirk
 
"A remnant of a time long past. Genetically engineered to be superior so as to lead others to peace in a world at war. But we were condemned as criminals, forced into exile. For centuries we slept, hoping when we awoke things would be different. But as a result of the destruction of Vulcan, your Starfleet began to aggressively search distant quadrants of space. My ship was found adrift. I alone was revived." - Harrison
 
"I looked up John Harrison. Until a year ago, he didn't exist." - Kirk
 
"John Harrison was a fiction created the moment I was awoken by your Admiral Marcus to help him advance his cause, a smokescreen to conceal my true identity. My name is... KHAN." - Harrison (Khan)
 
 
The 8th time I saw this, a man sitting close to me had the biggest grin on his face as Khan said the last line. He must have been a long time "Trekkie". I knew enough about the older Star Trek movies to know that Khan is a bad dude. :) 
 
 
Stay tuned for Part III !
 
 
 
 
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment