Sunday, September 22, 2013

Mad About Mads: Part III

 
For you, Heather :)

Valhalla Rising (2009)!!! Our Mads movie journey had finally come to this. I didn't quite know what to expect, and I was not disappointed. Mads, my friend, the only problem I had with this movie was that you didn't say one word the whole time. I wanted to hear your beautiful accent. The lack of words was made up for in wonderful cinematography, and Mads' ability to completely captivate an audience with a single look.


Mads as One-Eye with Are
 

Set in 1000 A.D. Mads plays a mute warrior (One-Eye) with seemingly supernatural strength. One-Eye has these "dreams" that show him what he is supposed to do. He can't lose a battle, and he is traded from owner to owner and forced to fight for his captors entertainment. He finally has had enough, and he slays his captor (violently, cue cheers from me for a bloody movie) and escapes with a small boy named Are.

 
Mads Mikelsen as One-Eye in Valhalla Rising (having one of his "dreams")
 
 
 
 
 
They then depart on a journey of self discovery. (I know that sounds cheesy) One-Eye starts the journey with no emotion, and seems to sort of find himself by the end, Realizing, *SPOILER ALERT!*, that he has to sacrifice himself to save the small boy that he has become attached to.
 
I highly recommend you check this movie out. 93 minutes of awesome. On Netflix.
 
Notice that I kinda left a huge empty spot in my review of this movie? It's because I want you to actually watch it. Concentrate on Mads and the beautiful cinematography, and just remember that it is a pretty weird movie.  



Next up?

Hannibal (2013 TV series)

The Hunt (2012)

Coco Chanel and Igor Stravinsky (2009)

Prague (2006)

The Iceman (2012, Michael Shannon, another under-rated actor that deserves your respect)

Take Shelter (2011, Michael Shannon)

2 comments:

  1. Take Shelter was one of the best of 2011. I watched it a few nights ago. Glad you finally saw Valhalla Rising. Nothing like a good-ole' disemboweling! Can't wait for The Hunt; been following it for a year and a half! P.S. Prisoners was fantastic! Very dark, and realistically horrific!

    ReplyDelete